What Is WIM?
Women in Mathematics is a group of undergraduate students, graduate students, postdocs, instructors, and other faculty members of the mathematics department at Penn State. Our main objective is to provide support and information to the women within the mathematics community at PSU at all levels, from undergraduate students to faculty members.
Our activities include:
- Meeting monthly to share information about career opportunities and to discuss issues facing women in science and mathematics;
- Supporting undergraduate and graduate students in their
- Sponsoring visits of women mathematicians to the mathematics department;
- Getting together in a friendly atmosphere for refreshments.
If you are interested in our activities and would like to receive our emails, please sign up using the Registration Form on this page. You must be affiliated with the Pennsylvania State University.
If you have a valid psu account, please sign up here.
Meet with Us!
Our last WIM
meeting for the semester is Friday, May 1 at
12 PM in
Our last meeting was Monday February 23 . We hosted a student visiting the Department.
To sign up for the meeting, please
email Wen Shen by noon, Monday, April 27.
- Associate Professor Victoria Sadovskaya has received the Teresa Cohen Service award, awarded by the Department of Mathematics
for her outstanding work with the MASS program.
- Professor Wen Ching (Winnie) Li will deliver the 2015 AMS-AWM Noether Lecture in Mathematics at the 2015 Joint Mathematics Meetings in San antonio.
- Former graduate student Yulija Gorb (adviser Leonid Berlyand), now Associate Professor at the University of Houston, receives an NSF
CAREER grant .
Activities supported by WIM
- WIM Scholars: WIM will partially support undegraduate female students undertaking Mathematics research at Penn State. For more information, click here.
- WIM Travel Grants:Wim will provide some support to send female
graduate students and postdocs to research meetings with a preference to those
that present a paper or poster.
For more information, click here.
- Wim will partially support visits by female
speakers in a Department seminar. WIM will support up to four visits per semester
and cover half of the cost up to $300 per visitor.
If you are a faculty member and are hosting a female speaker, please email
Ae Ja Yee to inquire about
support. For a list of sponsored talks, click the Talks tab.
AWM Travel Grants
The AWM, together with the NSF, sponsors Travel Grants to attend
mathematical conferences in the US and abroad. You must have a PhD to
apply. The next deadline is May 1, 2015.
WIM sponsored a play!
WIM partially supported
Gioia De Cari's Truth Values: One Girl’s Romp
through M.I.T.’s Male Math Maze?
held at the PA Centre State Theatre: 146 S. Allen St, on February 24, 2011.
Topics of discussion
These are some topics we discussed in our previous meetings:
- Gender, the teaching and the learning of mathematics.
- What impact does pregnancy have to a female mathematician?
- Future opportunities in Mathematics and related fields.
- Facets of majoring in Mathematics for women.
- What's it like to be a female mathematician at NSA?
- A discussion on the annual survey by the American Mathematical Society on employment in the Mathematical Sciences.