What Is WIM?
Women in Mathematics is a group of undergraduate students, graduate students, postdocs, instructors, and other faculty members of the mathematics department at Penn State. Our main objective is to provide support and information to the women within the mathematics community at PSU at all levels, from undergraduate students to faculty members.
Our activities include:
- Meeting monthly to share information about career opportunities and to discuss issues facing women in science and mathematics;
- Supporting undergraduate and graduate students in their
- Sponsoring visits of women mathematicians to the mathematics department;
- Getting together in a friendly atmosphere for refreshments.
If you are interested in our activities and would like to receive our emails, please sign up using the Registration Form on this page. You must be affiliated with the Pennsylvania State University.
If you have a valid psu account, please sign up here.
Meet with Us!
Our next WIM
meeting is March 15 at
12:30 PM in
We will be joined by Philip Kutzko, the founder of Math Alliance, the nation's largest network of diversity-devoted faculty and universities. He will give a Special Colloquium at 12:20 on Tuesday, March 14. This lunch will be an excellent chance to meet Phil, ask questions and learn more about how our department can become a more welcoming and inclusive environment.
Our last meeting was Wednesday Nov 9, 2016. We had panel discussion on stereotypes in STEM fields, lead by Faculty members Carina Curto and Jessica Conway.
To sign up for the meeting, please email Wen Shen by noon, Tuesday, Feb 28
Activities supported by WIM
- WIM Scholars: WIM will partially support undegraduate female students undertaking Mathematics research at Penn State. For more information, click here.
- WIM Travel Grants:Wim will provide some support to send female
graduate students and postdocs to research meetings with a preference to those
that present a paper or poster.
For more information, click here.
- Wim will partially support visits by female
speakers in a Department seminar. WIM will support up to four visits per semester
and cover half of the cost up to $300 per visitor.
If you are a faculty member and are hosting a female speaker, please email
Ae Ja Yee to inquire about
support. For a list of sponsored talks, click the Talks tab.
AWM Travel Grants
The AWM, together with the NSF, sponsors Travel Grants to attend
mathematical conferences in the US and abroad. You must have a PhD to
apply. The next deadline is May 1, 2017.
Topics of discussion
These are some topics we discussed in our previous meetings:
- Gender, the teaching and the learning of mathematics.
- What impact does pregnancy have to a female mathematician?
- Future opportunities in Mathematics and related fields.
- Facets of majoring in Mathematics for women.
- What's it like to be a female mathematician at NSA?
- A discussion on the annual survey by the American Mathematical Society on employment in the Mathematical Sciences.