What Is WIM?
Women in Mathematics is a group of undergraduate students, graduate students, postdocs, instructors, and other faculty members of the mathematics department at Penn State. Our main objective is to provide support and information to the women within the mathematics community at PSU at all levels, from undergraduate students to faculty members.
Our activities include:
- Meeting monthly to share information about career opportunities and to discuss issues facing women in science and mathematics;
- Supporting undergraduate and graduate students in their
- Sponsoring visits of women mathematicians to the mathematics department;
- Getting together in a friendly atmosphere for refreshments.
If you are interested in our activities and would like to receive our emails, please sign up using the Registration Form on this page. You must be affiliated with the Pennsylvania State University.
If you have a valid math account, please sign up here.
Meet with Us!
Our next WIM
meeting is Friday, April 11 at
12:30 PM in
We are delighted to have Charis Tsikkou, a visitor of Kris Jenssen, as our guest
for the April WIM lunch.
Our last meeting was February 11. Our guest was Jessica Conway, who works in
Math biology and will join the Department in the Fall.
To sign up for the meeting, please
email Wen Shen by morning Thursday April 10.
- Professor Wen Ching (Winnie) Li will deliver the 2015 AMS-AWM Noether Lecture in Mathematics at the next Joint Mathematics Meetings in San antonio.
Activities supported by WIM
- WIM Scholars: WIM will partially support undegraduate female students undertaking Mathematics research at Penn State. For more information, click here.
- WIM Travel Grants:Wim will provide some support to send female
graduate students and postdocs to research meetings with a preference to those
that present a paper or poster.
For more information, click here.
- Wim will partially support visits by female
speakers in a Department seminar. WIM will support up to four visits per semester
and cover half of the cost up to $300 per visitor.
If you are a faculty member and are hosting a female speaker, please email
Ae Ja Yee to inquire about
support. For a list of sponsored talks, click the Talks tab.
AWM Travel Grants
The AWM, together with the NSF, sponsors Travel Grants to attend
mathematical conferences in the US and abroad. You must have a PhD to
apply. The next deadline is May 1, 2014.
The International Congress of Women Mathematicians (ICWM) will be held August 12th and on August 14th, 2014 in Seoul, Korea, a satellite meeting of the 2014 International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM).The meeting consists of seven invited colloquium talks by leading women mathematicians, a poster session on recent research results, and ICWM-Forum. More information can be found on the meeting website:
Registration for the meeting and poster submission will begin on February 10, 2014.
WIM sponsored a play!
WIM partially supported
Gioia De Cari's Truth Values: One Girl’s Romp
through M.I.T.’s Male Math Maze?
held at the PA Centre State Theatre: 146 S. Allen St, on February 24, 2011.
Topics of discussion
These are some topics we discussed in our previous meetings:
- Gender, the teaching and the learning of mathematics.
- What impact does pregnancy have to a female mathematician?
- Future opportunities in Mathematics and related fields.
- Facets of majoring in Mathematics for women.
- What's it like to be a female mathematician at NSA?
- A discussion on the annual survey by the American Mathematical Society on employment in the Mathematical Sciences.