Math 311w - Concepts of Discrete Mathematics
This course introduces students to the use of mathematics as language. Using a theorem-proof framework much like that used in Euclid’s geometry textbook 2, 400 years ago, we will study elementary number theory, modular arithmetic, set theory, formal logic, groups, and other discrete-math topics. The course will include several writing assignments to help students develop their own communications skills.
Angel Course Management system for quizes and assignment dropboxes
- Due 8/27 -- Read Section 3.1 and complete reading quiz before class.
- Practice homework: Section 3.1, problems 1,2,3,4
- Online pratice: A, B, C
- Due 8/29 -- Submit writing assignment 1's essay.
- Due 9/ 5 -- Read Section 3.2 and complete reading quiz on Angel before class
- Due 9/10 -- Read Section 2.3 and complete reading quiz on Angel before class
- Due 9/17 -- Read Section 2.1 and complete reading quiz on Angel before class
- Due 9/22 -- Read Section 2.2 and complete reading quiz on Angel before class
- 9/29 -- First exam
- 11/3 -- Second exam
Laboratories and Code samples
- 9/8 -- Who won the Olympics? (regular classroom)
- 9/15 -- Which of these things is not like the others? (regular classroom)
- 10/1 -- Introduction to python. (room TBA)