In the summer of 2014 the Mathematics Department of the Pennsylvania State University will host a Research Experiences for Undergraduates site. Participants will be selected from qualified applicants. We encourage students to apply for both Summer REU and our MASS program which runs in the Fall semester of each year. Participation in REU followed by MASS provides an opportunity for completing a more substantial long-term research project.
Application deadline is February 28, 2014.
The program will run from July 2 to August 8, 2014. It will combine learning with research and include:
- One mini-course:
Lie Groups and Lie Algebras
Instructor: Viorel Nitica, Professor of Mathematics
- Weekly seminar run by the program coordinator Misha Guysinsky
- Research projects
- MASS Fest, a two day conference
Each eligible REU 2014 participant will receive a stipend of $2,500, reimbursement for room and board, and travel reimbursement up to $500.
(1) If English is not your native language please ask your recommenders to comment on your English proficiency in their letters;
(2) If admitted to the program, you will need to provide a proof of health insurance that meets the Exchange Visitor regulations or proof of personal funds sufficient to purchase such an insurance, and a proof of additional personal funds of $550 for miscellaneous expenses;
(3) Please make sure that your transcripts are translated into English.
Applications will be considered as long as positions are still available.
- Application Form [ HTML Format ]
- Record of Mathematics courses [ HTML Format ]
- Essay describing student's interest in mathematics
- Two Faculty Recommendations [ HTML Format ]
- Send your applications to:
- REU Summer Program
111 McAllister Building
Department of Mathematics
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802
- Make other inquiries at:
- Phone: 814-865-8462