MATH 514 - Spring Semester 2013
Partial Differential Equations II
Where and When
- Lectures: Tuesday & Thursday 11:15 AM - 12:30 PM, 260 Willard Bldg
- Office hours: Tuesday 3-4 PM, or by appointment, 202 McAllister
- I will select material from different sources, and no particular text is required.
A standard reference is Evans' book (Partial Differential Equations, 2nd edn.),
and we will cover material from Chapters 5, 6, and 7.
Academic Integrity, Grading, Policies
- For general statements read the
Penn State Policies, in particular parts 44, 47, 48, and 49.
- You are expected to attend all lectures.
- You are expected to spend a considerable amount of time on homework.
There will be weekly graded assignments (except exam weeks) that are due on
Friday afternoons. The score for a non-submitted assignment is zero. Late assignments
are not accepted (under any circumstance). The assignments will be posted at
least one week in advance (except the first week). I will give more
homework problems than what will be graded in detail (you will know which).
Feel free to discuss homework problems among yourselves. However, they
will be graded individually and it is not very useful to copy someone else's
answers. During office hours I will give out (almost) unlimited hints. Your
answers must be clearly and concisely written and in complete sentences.
Your exposition should be on level with a good mathematics textbook.
- For grading the following applies:
- There will be one midterm, counting 150 points.
- There will be a comprehensive final exam counting 200 points.
- There will be weekly homework assignments (except exam weeks).
The total score on assignments count a total of 200 points.
- Out of the total 550 points a 90% score corresponds to an A-,
and a 60% score corresponds to a D+.
Exam Times and Locations